Cunningham Piano: More Than a Century of Music History.
Cunningham Piano has been a Philadelphia institution since it’s founding by Patrick Cunningham in 1891. During the early part of the 20th century, the company crafted up to 2,000 pianos per year. They competed locally with 11 other Philadelphia piano manufacturers.
Patrick Cunningham reportedly offered $10,000 to anyone who could prove they could build a better piano. No one ever took him up on the deal. So he labeled his creations “The Matchless Cunningham.”
Then the Depression struck, followed by World War II. While all of the other local manufacturers disappeared, Cunningham continues operating.
In 1943, the company quit making pianos and instead, focused on rebuilding and restoration. They have since become an internationally known restoration facility for vintage and high-end pianos. The rebuilding of a century-old piano can take up to six months.
In 2006, the company introduced a new line of Cunningham Pianos, the first piano they built in 65 years. Their showroom, in a former Masonic Temple, is open six days per week and full of beautiful and historic pianos.